Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Refrigerator Rites...

So today as I was heading into the office my "all christmas all the time" station was getting a little interferance from another station and I heard something that made me stop an think. The guy was talking about his theory on Americans and why they're so busy. I'm probably not even going to begin to do this guy justice, and the accuracy of my adaptation of the story can be questioned but here it is.

He was saying that Americans complain that they don't have time for good friendships and relationships, but he says that Americans make themselves busy to cover the fact that that they don't have good friendships and close relationships. He defined these close relationships by calling them regrigerator rites relationships (when you can walk into someone's home and take something from their refrigerator without asking for permission.)

So of course wanting to think literally on the subject, I began counting in my head the number of people whose refrigerators I feel free to raid. Probably not surprisingly to many of you, I feel ok going in to most people's food and beverage stash without asking permission. Maybe it's because I have a lot of relationships that I would call close...maybe I'm just rude.

Either way, it's good to stop and think about. We were designed to be in relationship with other people. When we find the job, or other things starting to demand a little too much time, maybe it's time to stop and call that good friend to go out for a drink...or maybe stay in and raid each other's refrigerator.

1 comment:

melthedce said...

you can raid my fridge any day!