Monday, December 05, 2005

An Amusing Picture...

Ok...close your eyes, no wait, don't close your eyes...If you close your eyes you can't read this. So use your imagination and picture me sitting at a piano in a room with blue walls. There are 8 children and a few adults looking at me as I'm explaining to them the idea of this years christmas program. I also was going to be the one to teach them the two new songs we were learning. So as I sit at the piano and plunk out the notes, I lead them in singing. And I sing loud becuase my thought is that if they can't hear themselves, they'll sing louder and not feel like they are the only one singing, and while I'm neither a very good singer nor a talented piano player, my evil plan worked. They sang. They began to learn the new songs. And then I made them a deal that took me back to my years of grade school. I told them that if there was anyone in the room that could sing louder than me, they would get a prize. As the words left my mouth I had a flashback of Mrs. King telling us the same thing and a young Rachel thinking that that woman was indeed very loud. But you know what...it worked too...the kids sang loud enough for me to hear them, and they even got a prize out of it.

Needless to say, after last Sunday I know why I never became a children's music director...it would not have worked out for me. So if there are any people reading this who have ever tried to teach music to a group of children, I'd like to give you your due credit. I know you were probably underappreciated, so I thank you for doing what you do, so that I don't have to!

No comments: