Friday, December 02, 2005

How Do You Measure, Measure a Year

Last night I went and saw RENT, the movie. After many years of hoping to see the musical and loving the music, I was given a fabulous opportunity to see this show live in St. Paul Minnesota when I was in college (thanks laura for letting me go without you!) And I sat mesmerized by the music, the story, and the imagery. I can still remember how it felt to watch that show...I remember what I was wearing, and the random lady sitting next to me who sold me her extra seat for super cheap. It was unlike any theater I experience I had ever had. So different from typical musical theater. The story captivated me. It made me laugh, sigh, cry (not the soft tender find but the kind where you wanted to sob but there were too many people around.) and ultimately it made me smile.

I've wanted to see it again...but I kept missing it in different cities or couldn't get tickest. And then I heard they were doing it as a movie. I was sure it would be horrible. And to be really honest, I wasn't that thrilled to go see it...but when I heard some of the original Broadway cast were going to be in the show, I thought I would give it a whirl. Since it has been released I have been aching to get into the theater and see it, and last night was my moment.

I was not disappointed! It was great...not as good as the stage version...but great. I loved it. I could feel the same emotions pouring over and through me that had when I first saw it on stage. For me there is something magical about the story, and the way that it is put to music. Granted, it's not the traditional love story, in fact it is far from it. It definitely touches on some issues that are a little touchy for some people, but are very real for others. I can't say that the issues that the story deals with are a part of my sheltered world, but I know they are real. And in the end it is one of the most powerful stories of love and forgiveness that I have ever seen. Ah...if you can handle the social/moral/ethical and sometimes controversial issues please go see this film, and I hope you leave the theater feeling like I did; my heart light because there is the potential for a deep love that dwells within each of us.

No comments: