Thursday, December 22, 2005

I've Got The Joy, Joy, Joy, Joy...

This morning I got my oil changed in my car. You're probably going to think this is weird, but the oil change place (I don't really know what it's called) has become a place where I know I will get to relax. Sad that I only go there every 3 months. I find myself running around like a crazy person most of the time, but when I go to the oil change place there are at least 30 minutes waiting for me where I do nothing...but sit. It's beautiful. I can read if I want to read. I can take a nap if I want to take a nap. There's always coffee there (bad coffee, but coffee nonetheless) and no one there knows me and needs anything from me. Since my car isn't even a year old yet, I can also rest assured that they will come out and say, "Rachel we changed your oil and everything else looks great" No need for a 300 dollar repair on something that's leaking. It's beautiful. Then I can drive away in my car with clean oil, tire pressure even, and winshield washer fluid filled to the brim. What more can a girl ask for.

Today as I was sitting there I heard two things that caught my interest. Thing number one was the story on the radio about Bill Gates investing over a million dollars in a program designed to teach high schoolers how to play bridge. Ok...I don't keep track of where Mr. Gates puts his money and he is probably doing lots of nice things with his insane fortune, but I find it hard to be excited about the fact that he is putting all that money to a program for BRIDGE!!! I have high schoolers in my youth group that might lose their home because of money issues. I have kids who can't afford new shoes. I have kids that don't have coats for crying out loud...and he wants to teach them to play bridge. Well thank you Mr. Gates for your concern for today's teenagers. Way to understand where their real needs are. Enough of that....

Then as I was sitting there I read an article that made me smile. It was about taking pleasure in life. I think they might have a point there. I know it seems like I rush around a lot and don't take time to smell the proverbial coffee, and I think I see it in other people as well, especially during this time of hustle and bustle. The article talked about all this research about our brains and where pleasure registers there...blah blah blah, but the part that really stuck out to me was a list that a bunch of people compiled about the things that bring them joy; things that make them laugh, smile, and give them happiness. So I decided I am going to make a little list right here, feel free to do the same, and if you tell me what puts a smile on your face...I just might try to make it happen!!!

1.) Great jazz music that is so thick with sound you want to wrap yourself up in it.
2.) Emails from friends.
3.) Babies that giggle
4.) A hug from someone that's bigger than me
5.) A hug from a little child that barely comes above my knees
6.) A Glass of really great wine
7.) Laughing so hard you think you're going to pee your pants, or do something else really embarassing!
8.) The person who washes your hair and give you a head massage at the salon.
9.) Playing trivial pursuit, or the 90s game, with my family
10.) Picking up a friend from the airport...the exact second you see each other and scream because you're so excited.
11.) Telling stories...especially ones that make other people laugh.
12.) The Chanel counter at the department store
13.) Pirones Night
14.) Realizing I've just run further than I ever had before
15.) A good book. Even when I've read it 400 times before
16.) Kids in church
17.) Inside jokes
18.) My dog when she first gets up in the morning and is all sweet
19.) When my dad tells me squirrel stories
20.) Totally ignoring work to make a list of things that make me happy!

1 comment:

melthedce said...

I want to know what those other things are that are embarrasing when you laugh.... :)