Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Nerds, Disappointments, and Melissa...


Stick with me on this one, I have a few shout outs I'd like to...well...shout out.

First of all this one goes out to all the nerds. I'm slightly afraid to say it, but our dear friend Delilah, the Angel of the Night, prompted me on this one (and of course, it's only appropriate that she gets a shout out in the nerds section, because I do believe she has made a living out of embracing her nerdiness.) As I walk out of church and step into my car, and turn the key I am greeted with the sound of my engine and the sugary sweet voice of Delilah asking me to call in and share with her one of my favorite Christmas traditions. I wonder what Delilah would do if I called in and told her that our families favorite tradition is hiding the "scary" Santa Claus on each other and trying to one up each other each year. Anyway Delilah reminded me of a time when my dear brother came down to visit me in NC. He's going to get the nod for "biggest nerd" of the night. Jake came to visit and we decided to take a little trip down to Savannah, GA. On our return trip we were trying to find the delilah broadcast to make fun of the people who were calling in...and we found out that she was playing all Christmas, all the time. Jacob kindly reminded me that it was still advent and instead of Christmas songs, Delilah should have been playing Advent songs...so I, being the good sister that I am, told him if only we had a hymnal we could sing advent hymns instead...of course I wasn't planning on him actually having a hymnal...But he, being the ever faithful seminarian had one in the back seat. So as we drove down the highway I held open my cell phone and sang advent hymns with my brother by the glow of my display screen...when we had exhausted that list of songs...he chanted compline. Yep...we're nerds...total nerds. Thanks Delilah for that memory. Also in the Nerd category for tonight I would also like to call everyone's attention to a PetSmart commercial I heard on the radio telling me that I could bring my dog down and have her picture taken with Santa...Do People ACTUALLY do this???? I would think if there was anyone who would pull this kind of shennanigans if would be me, but I know full well that Lucy wouldn't stand for it...Does santa ask them what they want for Christmas. Our Society is kind of messed up don't you think...taking animals to sit on Santa's lap.


On to the Disappointment category. Today I found out that the one family my youth group shopped for for Christmas has been going around to all the agencies in town getting gifts for them, so now I have hundreds of dollars of gifts for kids that don't need them, thus I spent 2 hours with the Salvation Army trying to sort the whole mess out and figure out if we can find kids for these gifts. I think we have it under control...it just means more work for me. sheesh. It's frustrating when you go above and beyond to help someone who says they are needy and they have lied to you...But now we get to help people who really need it, so it's all good, but I was disappointed!

Second Disappointment...If any of you have called my home phone number you know that my answering machine tells you that if you are looking for Rick Beck, he doesn't live here. Yeah...well there is one lady with a particularly thick skull that this message has not yet gotten to. My dear "friend" Kay from American Recovery Systems (please feel free to send hate email to her...she's driving me nuts) keeps calling. She calls before 8am on Saturdays...she calls late at night...she calls in the middle of the day. I think she has my number on her cell phone speed dial or something because she calls ALL THE TIME. Of course she is looking for Rick Beck and for some reason, even though I've been telling her for the past 5 months that I don't know this man nor do I know a way to get in touch with him, she thinks that I do. She's accused me of lying...she's accused me of hiding him from her...and today she leaves me a message, "Rachel...be responsible, call me (doesn't leave a name because she knows I'll know her voice) and give us the information we need." I can only guess that she is stupid. Seriously...if I knew the info I'd give it to just to not have to hear her voice again. So I call her and kindly tell her that I still do not know him, I still do not know how to get ahold of him, I'm not planning on meeting him, and I would appreciate it if she would stop calling...and she begins accusing me again...I ask her why we have to have the same conversation all the time...she HANGS UP ON ME!!!! Ok...apparently no one gave her the memo that there is only one person that is allowed to hang up on me...the OG, miss SS (which by the way if you're reading this you're doubly allowed to hang up on me since I haven't called in forever, but I still love you!!!!) So I called back...talked with like 4 of the managers there and let's just say, I think we have the problem taken car of...but man...she is annoying.

Third disappointment...I think my dog hates me. I haven't been home much since last thursday and I think she's starting to get mad. Today when I went into the bathroom she had pooped on the floor (not like the "I had to go real bad" poop but the "I'm mad at you" poop, and yes there is a difference) And she had broken my mirror that I had standing up in my closet...does this mean she'll have 7 years of bad luck, or does it transfer to me because I'm her owner???

Ok and last but not least, I'd like to give a shout out to Melissa, who is neither a nerd, nor a disappointment...I love you girlie...can't wait to see you soon!

Wow...this is a long post...I think I just realized why I like blogging so much. I had so much to say about my day today and I could just write it out here, and the computer can't tell me to be quiet...it can't shush me...it has to listen! I love it...captive audience! And now...I think I'm going to be especially nerdy and go to bed super early!

1 comment:

melthedce said...

when you think of a dog pooping on your floor what does that remind you of? I seem to remember a time when our dear Huskey Yukon used to find it amusing or something to poop on the floor in the basement. Remember? Remember you and I putting plastic bags on our hands and then papertowels and then taking care of the mess.... oh man...