Tuesday, December 06, 2005

The Love of My Life...

What can I say, I'm in love. ok...Dad, don't get too excited. No, I haven't met anyone, but I am most definitely, very pathetically in love with a literary character. I went to see Pride and Prejudice last night. I have been in love with Mr. Darcy since my first reading of that novel my jr. year of high school. There's something about that book that captures my attention unlike any piece of literature I have ever picked up...I escape into the story and find myself coming back to it time and time again.

I will say that this movie did a fair job of sharing this timeless story. The actors did a nice job. There were several actors that I liked better in this movie than in the BBC production. The guy who played Collins was so much easier to watch than his predecessor! But who can compare to Colin Firth as Mr. Darcy.

Ultimately I just didn't feel like it captured all the wonderfullness of the novel, but let's face it...what movie can accurately portray my imagination, and the characters that I have made up while reading. And it's hard to cram an entire book into 2 hours...and I did enjoy this film, but when it was over and the row of high school girls sitting behind me say, "That was WAY better than the book!" I had an intense desire to sit them down and point out to them the superiority of the original writing! Ah well...read the book...sit down and read Pride and Prejudice. If you can make it through the beginning you will be rewarded with a great story!

On a slightly different note, I got shushed at a restaurant again last night...seriously...I have been shushed like 5 times in public since I have been here! I knew I was loud, but shushing, don't people know how rude that is!

No comments: