Sunday, December 25, 2005

Oh There's No Place Like Home For The Holidays...

Ah family! I am totally enjoying my time "up north" with my family for Christmas. Last night was awesome having Christmas Eve at Jacob's vicarage church(es). I drove up yesterday to meet the fam and Jake cooked us dinner, which was spectacular...how my brother ended up with the crazy cool cooking genes in our family I don't know. Then we got dressed up and went to the children's christmas service at jake's one vicarage church. It was fine...nothing too spectacular, kids saying lines...good stuff. But then we left and went to the little mission church that he lives next door to and preaches at every other week. It's a tiny old church with rounded pews. There were about 30 people there, but for some reason it was one of the best Christmas services I have ever been to. My brother basically "officiated" the whole thing. It was cool to see him doing the pastor thing and I was really proud of him. It definitely made me smile. Singing carols at the top of our lungs, getting compliments on my shoes and later returning to Jake and Gretals for good wine and present opening made the evening a great night on my account. Very Fun.

Today my parents and I (and the three dogs) drove back to STL. My mom cooked a meal that was so good and my grandparents came over to eat and exchange gifts. I love spending time with my grandparents and this was such a low key evening...and it's exactly what I needed. I had told my parents that I didn't want anything for Christmas and instead I wanted them to find an angel tree, or adopt a needy child for christmas instead of getting me a bunch of stuff...I thought my mom didn't really believe me, and of course she got me some little stuff as well, but I opened one box with a card in it, and it had a note telling me that they had donated money in my name to an organization that was helping needy children this Christmas. I seriously started to cry. It was the best gift ever. It's all I wanted for Christmas, and that's what I got. It was amazing.

So here I am on Christmas Night, hanging out with my parents (and the three dogs) and enjoying each other's company without the craziness of trying to see anyone and everyone who might be around...that's what tomorrow is for. Tonight is about spending time with the greatest parents on earth...and that's what I'm going to do now...MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!

No comments: