Friday, November 11, 2005

Crash

Tonight I saw the movie. I've been wanting to see it since I was driving from North Carolina to MO listening to reviews of it on talk radio. And it didn't let me down. I thought this was a great film (if you can tolerate the f-bombs) As I was watching the movie with my friend we were talking about how strange it is that some people's lives really are like the lives in the movie.

Wow...it's so easy for us to live our lives and not even see the hurt in other parts of our towns, state and country, let alone the world.

It reminds me of a conversation I once had with Seth, when I was living in the ghetto house in Minnesota, probably shortly after my sweet action bike was stolen...I was saying how I would probably never get out of the ghetto...and he said that he was sure I would, and look at me now. The people in springfield call my town "Heaven's Waiting Room" because there are so many old people...I think they're overdoing it a bit, but still, I am safe, I don't ever feel like I have to worry about weird stuff happening. Sure, it could...but the odds are more in favor of me catching a stray bullet from a deer hunting excursion than a drug deal gone bad...

Anyway I guess I'm just saying it's good to be aware...aware of the world around us and Crash reminded me of a world outside of my safe little bubble that I sometimes live in. Enough about that...

I got to hang out with my godson Lucas tonight...and his parents : ) He's getting sooo big. I sang him the Rachel song tonight. I think he liked it!

1 comment:

Lindsey said...

Good thoughts. Even though I work in suburbia haven, we are still regularly awoken to our real surroundings by a car break-in in the parking lot, computers being stolen, or a long list of other crimes...but while I work in the burbs...I am still residing in ghetto St. Paul. Although I don't think I would change that, except to move closer downtown. I like to think that living in St. Paul gives me street cred when working and serving people outside of Woodbury. If I lived and worked in Woodbury..everyone would look at me as a white rich kid who has everything on a silver platter. While that is true...I think living in St. Paul breaks down some barriers!