Wednesday, October 12, 2005

I Need Direction

Yesterday I went to a local youth leaders meeting. It was fun to meet other people in the area besides the ones from my church (not that there's anything wrong with the people at my church, I love them a lot, but it's nice to meet a few outsiders.) The meeting was great, but it was also a little mentally exhausting for me. We were talking about our ministries and I realized how little I actually know about youth ministry. ugh. And then as were talking I began thinking about all the things I should, could, and would do with youth ministry at this congregation and it was just exhausting. I am at the point in my job where I need to start heading in some direction with the ministry that's been laid in front of me.

Sometimes I'm a little overwhelmed at the tasks that are in front of me. I mean "starting outreach" at a congregation could me a gazillion different things. Building a youth ministry (from toddler to young adults) can also take many different forms. And at times I feel in over my head, but I know I can handle it. I know that I am meant to do this kind of work at this point in my life, and I know that God is here and working everything through me...it's just finding that direction...it gets me every time.

I'm reading a book about today's youth. I don't know what I think about what the author is saying. He's talking about youth and how they've been abandoned in our culture, and how they then create their own culture and stuff (I haven't read too much of it yet, so I don't know that I have a complete grasp on where he's going..but still) Maybe it's just because I had a good childhood, I never felt abandoned. Maybe it's hard for me to see the hurt in other kids because I never felt that, and if that's the case how do I minister to youth who are a part of this "hurt" culture. Hopefully I'll find out.

2 comments:

Lindsey said...

Ms. Rachel...ummmm if you knew everything...then you would be God not Rachel. DUHHHH.
I think it is normal to feel like you don't have a clue...I think you are awesome because you keep researching, learning, listening, asking questions, and engaging in the process. That is what matters. God does the tough stuff... He simply calls us to be obedient to his leading. And I know you are doing that.
I love you.

Ingrid said...

Rach...
fear not. Hurt is a tough book to get into, but hearing Chap speak about it in person is SOMETHING! I saw him last spring and was well...wow, it was pretty humbling, phenomenal, discouraging, encouraging...I would highly recommend that you go to his seminar on it if it's offered in Nashville. If it's not offered, I'd gladly buy you the cd recording of his seminar of it from Pittsburgh. I haven't been able to get through the book myself yet, a bit tough to wade through esp. after you're heard him in person. The book just seems dry.

I'm off for now...love you, dear!