Wednesday, February 22, 2006

I wish I knew more...

Sometimes I wish I knew more about kids and the whole pyschological side of things. I wish I understood how kids develop. I wish I understood their needs better. I think it would help me help them more. I had a pretty "Leave it to Beaver" type of childhood. Yeah I did stupid crap, but my parents were always there to kind of tame my craziness. I never dealt with a lot of issues that kids that I come into contact with are dealing with.

I think there is a kid that I know who could probably use some counseling, but I don't know that there's anyone in the area that I would want to recommend them to, or if the guardians would be willing to do something like that. And I know I'm definitely not qualified to give any type of real counseling to anyone.

If anyone knows any type of resources that would help know where to direct people who need this kind of help...or any good books I could read that'd be awesome.

I just hate to see people struggle like this.

On a completely different note, I couldn't help but laugh at myself earlier today as i was reading a little bit today about fasting as a spiritual practice. I was getting pretty into it, and am seriously contemplating doing some sort of fasting and prayer time. The funny part was that as I was sitting there reading it i was also eating little miniature dove chocolate candies. I wonder how great of an idea it will feel like when I have gone two days without solid food...

1 comment:

Ingrid said...

Rach...
First off, I love you! I love reading your blog. Everytime I read it, I glow and usually laugh out loud at my computer screen (usually at really inappropriate times in the office too!).

Ok...resources...I'll email you some thoughts...

Second...spiritual disciplines, baby. If you don't have Celebration of Discipline by Richard Foster, I would highly recommend it!!! A friend of mine and I are going to read it during Lent...you and I should be in touch. :)