Monday, January 23, 2006

The Learning Channel...

Wow...usually I tune into this channel to watch things such as, What not to wear. As I was flipping through my gazillion channels last night, I was intrigued by a commericial that popped up on TLC advertising their upcoming programs. The one that caught my attention was, "The Story of the 627 pound woman" Ok so I admit I was sucked in. I sat on the couch for an hour watching the story of this very large woman and her gastric bypass surgery. She was still very large afterwards but she lost a ton of weight. It was crazy...If that wasn't bizarre enough after that came the story of the half ton man. That's right ladies and gentlemen. This man weighed 1000 pounds. Let's just say these shows were enough to make me stay away from Mc. Donalds for a while. wow. I mean what would it be like to weigh 1000 pounds. So at this point of the evening I had spent two hours watching shows about insanely obese individuals, but it was the next special that was really interesting. It was about this weird pregnancy. One woman had become pregnant and gone to the hospital with severe, what she thought were, labor pains. They said she couldn't deliver normally so they'd have to do surgery...but she heard a woman next to her in the hospital screaming in childbirth pains and saw her die so she just got up and left...a little later the pains went away. GEt this...46 years later she starts having pains again...goes back to the hospital...turns out that the baby died inside of her and her body made a protective calcified layer around it and it had been inside her for all those years. So then they did surgery and took out the calcified baby...WEIRD.

Basically I watched a whole bunch of weirdness on television last night. But it's pretty amazing how our bodies function...that's for sure...thanks to the learning channel I now know that a stomach can become large enough to hold over 3 liters of stuff...and that if a baby were to die inside of me it's possible that my body could produce a calcium protective cover around it so I wouldn't get infection.

1 comment:

Emily said...

That is just crazy ... but I'm with you, I would've been sucked into watching those shows too had I had time. Unbelieveable!