Thursday, January 05, 2006

I Want To...

Write a book. This feeling has been coming on for a while now. I wish I could say it was because I had an area of expertise that I felt I could write on and contribute to the betterment of society. Unfortunately I don't know enough about anything to write a serious book...so I'm thinking a novel will have to do. Although I don't really have a great story line, or even character to that this desire for writing is springing from. I think it's more of a feeling of something inside of me trying to get out.

It's like when I was in Florence and we went to see Michaelangelo's David. As you walked down the hallway to this magnificent statue, there were other pieces of work, presumably unfinished statues that in themselves were awe-inspiring works of art. The amazing thing about these statues is that it really looked like the people were trying to escape from the stone. Those half-done statues kind of show my feelings.

But where do you start when you're writing a book. I can't even puncuate properly! I'm a grammatical nightmare. And where on earth am I going to find time to write a book, and if I did would it just be another book that sits on the the shelves of Barnes and Noble that everyone looks over, if I was lucky enough for it even to get to that point. I think I've been reading too much Jane Austen. I have a high regard for her writing style and the way she develops characters, and maybe I'm just wanting to be like her.

On another note, my TV is broken. Not that I've watched in since the World Series anyway, but American Idol starts soon, and I'm a complete AI junkie! ah well, maybe without the TV I'll have more time to start writing that book.

1 comment:

Lindsey said...

Yeah, I'd read a book you wrote. And I can imagine if you have a book inside your head trying to get out that must be painful!

Side note...do you have a goodwill nearby? Buy a used TV. Talk to the people at your church someone has to have an old TV lying around.

Is it lying or laying...not sure.