Friday, January 13, 2006

It was inevitable...

My favorite children's book begins, "The time has come, the time is now." If you can name that book I'll give you a gold star. Anyway apparently the time has come for winter here in good old Southern Missouri. Yesterday I was gloating in the fact that it has been so warm. Seriously...since Christmas it's been between 55 and 70 degrees. That seems a little strange for me...even after living in North Carolina for a few years where the weather is more mild than good old STL and certainly warmer than Minnesota! But still 70 degrees in January.

Well last night during our first voter's meeting of 2006 our handy dandy weather radar radio starting going off; telling us that severe weather was on its way to our area. So we start the meeting anyway and wait to hear the radio beep to warn us of anything that was particularly going to hit our area. The funny thing is that for Christmas my mom gave me this key finder that I put on my key ring so that when I can't find it all I have to do is whistle and it beeps to tell me where my keys are (pretty cool if you ask me!) Sometimes though loud noises will set it off, and last night was no exception. Someone made a comment that made everyone laugh (for the purposes of my story here we'll say it was me because then you will all think I am funnier than I am...sneaky of me isn't it) Well the laughter caused my keys to beep which caused everyone to be silent and about 5 people to stand up and run to the weather radio. At this point I start laughing because I know it's just my keys...which set them off again...which really started to through people in a panic. Of course they didn't believe when I said it was my keys going off...they were sure our church was going to get blown off of the top of our hill with some crazy tornado or something.

But to give them some credit there was severe weather all over our area last night. It hailed, and it was LOUD. I looked out my back window and there was about an inch and a half of hail the size of quarters. It made me so happy I had a garage! But today it is cold. It's in the 30s which feels a little more like winter.

and lindsey this is for you....I kind of wish it would snow. I know, I know...I hate snow. But I want it to snow just once enough for me to go sledding. Anyway I guess it's time to say hello to winter.

No comments: