Thursday, November 16, 2006

Well...it finally happened.

Today I received my first invitation from a church singles group. Apparently the word is out that I am indeed a Christian and old (and single) enough to be part of a "singles" group.

I don't really know how to put this without sounding like a horrible person...but I've always kind of thought that "singles" groups were there for those adults who are starting the down slide of their prime and getting a little...well...desperate. I really don't think I fit into either of those categories...but maybe I just have the wrong view of things...I always imagine that the majority of people present at these types of group meetings are single women in the late twenties to early forties who are somewhat awkward when it comes to the art of conversation and relationship...but maybe I'm wrong and being a complete jerk. Maybe this event is something that would be fun, and a good way to meet other people my age in the SW Missouri area...of course I have a sneaking suspicion that this is the lie that all singles have to tell themselves to make themselves show up to an event such as this.

To their credit the group has chosen to meet at a micro-brewery and then go on the art-walk in Springfield...so it doesn't sound totally lame. I have not yet decided if I will grace the event with my presence so weigh in on the issue if you'd like...

Also...it feels like winter. It's cold. That's all...I'm out.

3 comments:

Ingrid said...

Hmmm...


I'm almost offended on your behalf that a million people haven't commented on this one.

Singles group...you're right on the money, sister. GREAT BLOG! Single, sanctified, and secure...HERE we stand. ;)

You might just have the greatest best friend of all time. Dani+District Youth Gathering=Holy Spirit at work===incredible!

Oh how I love you!!

melthedce said...

ok, this is what I have decided... you just have to be brave and go beyond your comfort zone to say you have been there and done that and never again... or maybe there are way cool singles wanting to meet people as well. I say just go for it... you will either have new friends or have hilarious stories to tell to your grandchildren... win win if you ask me!

Becky O'Hara said...

Yah, I am feeling like you about the singles groups being for "desperate" people, but I don't know about the "past their prime" part. My roommate is younger than me, still in her prime, and attending these things. I don't go because I feel too old for the group! (I don't know what that might say about me.) But I also don't go because I don't feel the need to go look for a Christian guy to date because I'm almost totally in love with this guy that I went to college with. (Email me, Rach, and I'll fill you in.)

But I say, go, have fun, and prove that singles groups aren't just for desperate, past their prime folks!