Monday, March 06, 2006

It's life...

I've been super busy lately, and I was starting to think that the only things I had to blog about where work things, and not so exiting or entertaining stories. And since I know there are some people who will be emailing me shortly telling me that I haven't updated my blog or provided them with the theraputic entertainment they seek from my sage like writing, I decided to take a few moments out of my crazy day to share some of my life.

First of all I just want to clear something up from a previous pot. I let you all know of my intentions of bringing back the legging look. Well the other day in the midst of complete chaos I was near one of our many outlet malls and decided to just look around for a bit of retail therapy. For some reason I walked into one of those stores that is filled with glitter and beads and marginally trendy super cheap crap. I asked the girl working behind the counter if they had leggings. She looked at me and told me no. I then told her of my plight to bring back the look and she looked at me (I could feel the judgement) and told me that that look was already in style and that EVERYONE was already wearing them. I think she may have been exagerating just a tad, but I must say I was a little sad to say that I am so OUT of style that I didn't even know leggings were back in...but I guess there are, according to the Lindsay Lohan wannabe behind the counter. So I'm on the lookout for a new fad to toss onto the fashion scene and be labled a trend setter! maybe I'll bring back wearing two pairs of socks with different colors and reebok high top tennish shoes!

On another note, this morning my phone rang at 5 am...and then again shortly after that. I was in my sleep coma and couldn't be persuaded from my bed to answer my phone at that time. Most people get worried when their phone rings at abnormal times like that, they think something is obviously wrong and someone has to get ahold of you right then...but I want to take you back to a few weeks ago in my life and let you know why that is not my first reaction any longer...

The phone is my bedroom sounds like the sirens declaring an oncoming atomic bomb. It's loud. I usually leave it off but for some reason it was turned back on. One night as I was enjoying my sleep, I was awakened by the screeching and squawking of my telephone. It was pitch black in my room and it took me a while to find the phone receiver. In my desperate attempt to make the awful noise stop I finally found the receiver and picked it up. "Hello" I say.......Silence....at this point I realize that no one has died and I can safely hang up the phone and go back to sleep. I closed my eyes and just as I was drifting back to sleep the horrible noise started again. This time I was quicker to find the phone. "Hello" I say again....this time I hear breathing..."Hello" I say a little louder....more breathing....it sounds strange, so I hang up the phone. This time I'm smart and turn off the ringer in my room...of course when I had just about fallen asleep again the phone rings (I hear it from the kitchen) so I roll over and pick up...ready to unleash my furry..."HELLO" I say...."Miss Rachel" this mousy voice comes back to me.....at this point I know exactly who it is...It's a little boy that I used to pick up and bring to church with his brother and sister here in town. I have no idea what time it is...I'm still a little out of sorts from the phone ringing so much....

"Mikey is that you?" I ask...

"Uh...Miss Rachel I was wondering if you could bring up to church on Sunday?" I'm so confused...why on earth is this 8 year old boy callingme in the middle of the night? So I say,

"Mikey...shouldn't you be in bed?" Then he starts whispering.

"No" he says. I can hear cartoons in the background.

"Mikey you need to get some sleep so you're ready for school in the morning" Really what I meant was that I needed to get some sleep. He does a whisper laugh and says,

"I'm already supposed to be dressed" in my mind it was the middle of the night....I would have guessed it was 3am...I thought he was just joking around with me so I told him to have his mom call me on Saturday if he wanted to go to church...and that was the end of the conversation. Then I went to check the clock...it was 6am...not really the middle of the night, but not really the best time for 8 year olds to be making leisurely phone calls.

So this morning when my phone rang at 5am I had a pretty good idea who it was...and I was right...little mikey calling me to ask me if I could take him to church.

so strange...and yet kind of endearing.

2 comments:

Ingrid said...

Interesting...this little Mikey...
I have read the blog twice now and really don't know how to respond...laugh, feel sorry for you, feel sorry for him, wonder about his home life...hmmmm

Rachel Ehrhard said...

yeah...it's a completely strange situation. It's at moments like those that I appreciate my parents, family and home life more than I ever though possible!

I guess those are just sometimes the situations you find yourself in when you do what we do...