Wednesday, March 14, 2007

And We Are Changed...

Haiti is amazing. On Sunday night I finally returned to MO (after a minor setback at the Houston airport that lasted nearly 24 hours, and holds enough events for at least three blogs, nevertheless, it is not the most important thing that happened in the last week and a half, so if you want to hear about it, you'll have to send me an email or give me a call.) This year preparing for Haiti was difficult, harder than last year, partly because of my busyness...partly because it was just me going from my congregation, and partly because it came so quickly after the first of the year. I wasn't able to dwell on what I was going to be doing, or even prepare as wisely as I had the previous year.

But the time came and I went.

All I can say is that I was immeasurably blessed by the time I spent with my brothers and sisters in Haiti. I still do not know why God has given me a heart for His people there, but he has, it's almost inexplicable.

This year I spent 8 days in Haiti. It wasn't nearly long enough. The 8 days were filled with so much. I played with kids...tried to speak their language...helped at orphanages...held babies at hospitals...jumped rope with kids that might go to meet Jesus very soon...spent time with friends that mean more to me than just about anything...felt Baby Tietjen kick...laughed...prayed...cried...sang...and even managed to move a little block and fill some holes with mortar.

I'll be honest and say that I haven't quite processed everything yet. There are so many people that I am with there, that inspire me...and almost in a way make me feel shameful of the way I take my life, time, and gifts for granted. Not a shame that makes me hang my head, but a shame that motivates me to be more than what is expected of me as a Christian in American Culture...instead it reminds me that God has called us to a higher calling...he has blessed us to be a blessing, and so often in my day to day life I forget that, but when I am Haiti I cannot forget.

I know that my life here in America will catch up with me again and some of the same patterns of my life will fall into place again, and ever so slowly, the tendency will be for me to forget how I am changed...the rush of routine will be the thing that leads and drives my life. I don't want to be that person though, and I will make an effort to be the kind of person who earnestly seeks God and His guidance in my life.

Soon I will post some pictures from the trip...and tell some specific stories...which hopefully you'll want to hear!

No comments: