Sunday, December 23, 2007

When there's no place to go...

When there's no place to go, there's no need to rush. This might not seem like rocket science to most of you, but it's not an easy thing for me to grasp. I spend so much of my life running from place to place that when I no longer have a place to run, I don't know what to do with myself.

It's Christmas Eve eve....My family is at my brothers and it seems that I will be alone on Christmas Eve and most of Christmas Day. No family dinners to get to, no gatherings to arrive at on time, no Christmas programs to be a part of...no need to rush. I guess this is what happens when you get older and live further away from your family (and work at a church).

I've had such a difficult time getting into the Christmas Spirit this year and am way behind on Christmasy stuff...like the pile of presents still sitting in my front room and the stack of Christmas cards yet to be mailed.

More than anything I'd like to walk into a sanctuary this Christmas and truly worship. Since my family is not around, it seems that I get to decide where to make that happen. Now all I have to do is decide when and where to travel!

1 comment:

laura said...

My sweet friend...

First of all, thank you! I'm so glad you enjoyed the Christmas greeting ala Baltimore! :) Secondly, I, too am "alone" on Christmas eve, and as I was sitting atop the roof deck earlier, it hit me that everyone else in my family was with.. someone. But then I envisioned the good ol' Christ sitting next to me on the deck enjoying the incredible view of the harbor... And I can't really think of anyone else I'd rather be with on this eve.

So, I guess what I want to say is "I love you, sister!" and as it seems to work out most of the time with us.. we can be together in spirit.. and with The Spirit!

Sending all my love.. feel my hugs!!!! And remember the headless Santa who once haunted your dorm room and helped to make us friends. ha!!!!!!

Merry Christmas, sister.